THE PHILATELIC CONGRESS OF GREAT BRITAIN
6 August 2015 to Sunday 9 August 2015
Queens Hotel, Leeds, LS1 1PJ
The Congress for 2015 will be held at the Queens Hotel, Leeds. (www.qhotels.co.uk)
Leeds is the third largest city in England with plenty of local historic attractions and it is a shoppers’ paradise. This fine hotel is part of Leeds station complex – so travel by rail is recommended. There is a fast and frequent direct rail service from London Kings Cross, taking approx. 2 hours 20 minutes.
The theme for Congress will be 1890. Leeds Philatelic Society was founded in that year and Stanley Gibbons published GSM for the first time. The Uniform Penny Post celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1890. Events featured at this Congress include:-
- The Banquet on the Saturday is at the superb Leeds setting of the War Gallery at the Royal Armouries. (www.royalarmouries.org). There will be a chance to see some of its treasures. The price includes wine and coach transport both ways
- An illustrated talk about the City of Leeds will be complemented with Leeds postal history and displays given by Leeds Philatelic Society
- A talk about The Royal Armouries. (www.royalarmouries.org)
- Hugh Jefferies will tell us about the foundation of the Stanley Gibbons and the early history of GSM
- A chance to join our walking tour in Leeds City Centre which will feature places of philatelic interest. Alternatively there is a coach trip to Temple Newsam House (www.leeds.gov.uk/templenewsam) a Jacobean House with over 40 rooms open to view, a farm and café with parkland landscaped by Capability Brown
- There will be a display of material produced for The Jubilee Exhibition of 1890
- We will hear about the Postal System in 1890 from Julian Stray, Senior Curator of the British Postal Museum & Archive
- A highlight of Congress will be the signing of The Roll of Distinguished Philatelists which is not to be missed. You can be sure of a warm welcome in Leeds.
I am delighted to enclose the booking form and provisional programme. Please print out the forma and post it to us.
(Chairman, A.B.P.S. Congress Committee)
Supported by Stanley Gibbons
These include dinner, bed & breakfast – (Thursday & Friday) and B&B (Saturday)
Double/Twin room – Thu or Fri £158 per couple – Sat £122 per couple
Double/Twin room (single occupancy) – Thu or Fri £123 per person – Sat £102 per person
Single Room – Thu or Fri £113 per person – Sat £92 per person
Room upgrades available (subject to availability): See www.qhotels.co.uk for more information
Superior Double/Twin room – add £20 per room per night
King Junior room or Q Club room add £40 per room per night
Q Club King Junior room add £60 per room per night
Q Club suite add £100 per room per night
Deadline – Please note that hotel bookings cannot be guaranteed after 25 June but there is still a good chance we will find you a room up to a few days prior to the event so check with Paul Gaywood !
Extra Nights – if delegates wish to stay additionally on the Wednesday and/or Sunday night, these will be charged at the same rate as the Saturday night rates.